Objective of Proposed Work
The objective of this Statement of Need (SON) was to develop analytical methods to provide repeatable and environmentally relevant measures of total per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in PFAS-free firefighting formulations to demonstrate that they do not contain PFAS at concentrations above 1 part per billion (ppb). The focus of this work should be for total PFAS in firefighting formulations that are compliant with draft military specification (MIL-SPEC) MIL-PRF-XX727 Performance Specification for Fire Extinguishing Agent, Fluorine-Free Foam (F3) Liquid Concentrate, for Land-Based, Fresh Water Application. Candidate formulations will be supplied by SERDP. Specific research needs include:
- Developing robust sample preparation procedures that are implementable in a production laboratory environment.
- Developing methods for accounting for or eliminating inorganic fluorine from total PFAS quantitation.
- Developing methods to reduce the impact of other constituents on total PFAS quantitation.
- Minimizing the potential for exclusion of PFAS, such as short-chain PFAS, from total PFAS quantitation.
- Validating the method in accordance with a validation study plan consisting of all elements require by the Department of Defense (DoD) Quality Systems Manual (DoD QSM) (latest version at the time of research initiation).
- Documenting the method in a format that is compatible with DoD QSM requirements and allows for easy implementation by production laboratories.
Funded projects will appear below as project overviews are posted to the website.