FY 2017 STATEMENT OF NEED
Weapons Systems and Platforms (WP) Program Area
The objective of this Statement of Need (SON) was to develop a PFAS-free surfactant formulation for use in Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) fire-suppression operations. Proposed research was intended to identify and test PFAS-free surfactants for use in AFFF that meet the performance requirements defined in MIL-F-24385F. New formulations must be compatible with existing AFFF and supporting equipment. Proposers were asked to include testing to validate persistence and aquatic toxicity of alternative materials.
The projects listed below were selected to address the objectives of this SON. Additional information on individual projects can be found by clicking the project title.
- Novel PFAS-Free Replacement For Aqueous Film Forming Foam
- Lead Investigator: Joseph Tsang, Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Divisions
- PFAS-Free Aqueous Film Forming Foam
- Lead Investigator: John Payne, National Foam
- PFAS-Free Foams with Oleophobic Surfactants and Additives for Effective Pool fire Suppression
- Lead Investigator: Ramagopal Ananth, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
New PFAS-free surfactants will enable sustained manufacture and use of AFFF by meeting environmental requirements while maintaining equivalent performance to ensure the safety of DoD personnel at airfields and onboard ships.